Thursday, July 16, 2009

ahhh, What's Up Doc?

Is there anything that doesn't affect the brain? Every piece of literature that I pick up has a new study about something that either helps cognition or hinders it. If I were to follow every article and study's findings I would starve to death.

I personally stick with the 4 basics that you can read about in detail, in one of my earlier posts. But here's the gist of it.

1. Diet: A heart healthy diet is a brain healthy diet, there are many...pick one.

2. Supplements: There are vitamins, minerals and herbal products that are extremely powerful and besides the scant research on them (because the people that do these studies cannot figure out how to make money on something you can pick up from a dozen different sources), they are time tested by generations; Chinese medicine, Ayurvedic medicine, rainforest medicine.

3. Physical fitness: obviously even a little exercise is good for your blood circulation, your emotional well-being, your energy levels, etc. and

4. Mental fitness: If you haven't heard, they now say that your brain needs challenges or it atrophies or at the very least you get mentally lazy. But to be more clinical, mental stimulation help build new neural pathways, strengthen existing one, and generally serves as buffer from age related loss.

By the way if anyone knows who "they" are, please let me know, "they" have been interfering in my life as long as I can remember.

Now for a little experiment: I have been toying with making videos I am going to try to post my first one here: if you see nothing after this paragraph, you will know I have failed. But, if it works, I would be eternally grateful if someone would tell me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a commment. Follow me at http://alzheimersecrets.com and www.caregiverrelief.com